Horror Movies - Enthusiasm for Being Scared
Horror Movies
Source: Rotten Tomatoes
- Hey, let's watch a horror movie tonight, shall we?
- Yeah, let’s do it!
I’m sure, we all have this kind of moment in our lives. In our childhood, whenever our final exam was over, we used to do stayovers at our cousin’s or friends’ houses and watch ghost movies. Some common names pop up in our brains that we had watched in those times, for example, “ Evil Dead “, “ Dead Silence “, “ The Conjuring “, “ The Ring “, “ The Exorcist “, and many more. While watching those movies, some of us used to enjoy those jump-scare parts, in contrast, some used to get frightened. But one thing is for sure, we never lost the attraction, curiosity, or, what should I say, the enthusiasm for watching those horror movies. It was fixed, we would get scared, and probably we would not be able to sleep that night peacefully. Nevertheless, we watched those movies. Even now, we love to watch these horror movies and enjoy them no matter how scared we are.
Evil Dead Poster
Source: Fruugo EG
Source: Warner Bros.
Source: IMDb
The Ring Poster
The year I was in 7th standard, I watched a horror movie named “The Ring”. It was a story about a suspicious videotape. Whenever someone watched that tape, s/he got murdered by a lady ghost coming through the TV screen. Even though I watched the movie with my siblings and cousins, I can clearly remember, how much I got frightened. At the same time, how much I enjoyed the movie.
Source: Wikipedia
The question is, why do we want to watch these movies knowing that we would get scared? One more question is why do we get afraid when we know those ghosts on the screen are fake and there is nothing called ghosts in this world?
In my opinion, we love to get these spooky feelings that give us chills. Something supernatural or paranormal, something beyond the imagination, something which does not occur in front of eyes daily — we love to feel this kind of sensation. Even though, we get terrified (maybe close our eyes whenever those horrifying scenes come), we don’t stop watching horror movies. Therefore, we, humans, are always fond of curious things, and unsolved mysteries, because the unknown, and unseen concepts or ideas always attract us even if it is dangerous for us.






Comments
Post a Comment